The first thing I did was set up the enviroment. This is:

  1. Install PostgreSQL 8.3 using apt-get (Debian rulez :-))
  2. Checkout the last version of PROJ.4 (required by PostGIS) from svn by svn checkout http://svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/proj/trunk/proj, and compile it
  3. Checkout the last version of GEOS (required by PostGIS) from svn by svn checkout http://svn.osgeo.org/geos/trunk geos-svn, and compile it
  4. Checkout the last version of PostGIS from svn by svn checkout http://svn.osgeo.org/postgis/trunk postgis-svn, and compile it
  5. Checkout the last version of WKT Raster from svn by svn checkout https://svn.osgeo.org/postgis/spike/wktraster, and compile it
  6. Export the last version of GDAL from svn by svn export https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal gdal, and compile it

UPDATE 2010/05/02: To compile PostGIS properly, you’ll need a parser generator compatible with yacc. My choice was bison. You can install it, in Debian-based systems, with

sudo apt-get install bison.

You will need libxml2 if you compile PostGIS 1.5+. To install it with apt:

sudo apt-get install libxml2 libxml2-dev

You can install PostgreSQL 8.4 instead of 8.3 too. And it’s recomended to install GEOS version 3.1.1+, to work with PostGIS 1.5+. Further information here. Last, but not least, you’ll need to activate your database to use PostGIS, and do some management. Here a good tutorial to do it in Ubuntu.

UPDATE 2009/11/18: I added this in other post, but here is more useful: After install everything, add the libgdal.so directory (/usr/local/lib) to /etc/ld.so.conf and execute

sudo ldconfig

UPDATE 2009/06/18: I exported the code from GDAL, instead of checkout it.  I’m going to import my own version of GDAL, with the WKT Raster, in a different svn repository. So, after that, I’ve installed:

  • PostreSQL v8.3.
  • PostGIS v1.4.0SVN. I created gsoc09_test database and added spatial capabilities.
  • WKT Raster v0.1.6SVN[1]. I executed the enabler script in order to enable gsoc09_test database to use the wktraster
  • GDAL v1.7.0SVN.

I had two problems, solved, in this process: When I was running the enabler script to add the PostGIS extension for a given database, I got a message like this:

NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.

And I got a similar message while running the enabler script to add wktraster support to my spatial database. But I found the solution here: It’s a hen-an-egg problem. Only a warning, not an error. My second problem was with PostGIS testing. I had to install cunit, but as I installed PostGIS before, I had to execute PostGIS ./configure again, and then do the make check. Everything worked fine. With the enviroment ready, It was the time to read again a lot of documentation. I read:

Then, I had a look at the code of some drivers, and I stopped at the PNG driver. Maybe it could be a starting point… For next week, I plan to start coding the skel of my own GDAL driver. A dummy driver, at first.  And I’d like to have a sandbox svn access. This issue is being discussed here and here —– There was a little confusion with the version number.

Advertisements